This is a satire, an irony of our times that effects our times and our futures.
• Democratic Nations are made of four kind of people as political entities.
~ 1st – Those who are too engaged in day to day living and will vote for anyone who can help them with day to day living.
~ 2nd – Those who are more discerning but unwilling to enter the political fray for a variety of reasons.
~ 3rd – Those who are affiliated to Political Parties.
~ 4th – A category of people who can buy Politicians & parties, irrespective of which Political Party is or comes to power and hence are out of preview here!
• The 1st type of people are the mass that provides politics it’s momentum.
~ Voting as a right is a lovely empowering thought & also a major exploit!
~ Party workers and volunteers herd their vote banks from this lot, out of their homes to the voting booths with sops telling them that they alone can elliviate them from their immediate challenges.
•Democracies also breed a lot of very deserving intelligent but arm chair bound commentators, mostly from the 2nd category.
~This group allows Politicians to exploit them with different sops, doled out such as reduced or increased rates of – inflation, interests, DA, etc. They are also easily exploited by as much as, praise and photo opportunities which makes them feel good and keeps them engaged..
• Political parties have to deal with this category easily by
~ Ignoring or silencing them by economic, social or physical coercion, or by dividing them in such a manner that they cease to be a political force or threat.
~ A classic case in this is the large community of Veterans of the Defence Services. While all other services have Unions affiliated to or vote enmass these Veteran try and retain their pristine Individuality & loyalty to the Nation alone.
•Rest of the people in Democracies are for one or the other party and by and large already indoctrinated.
~ Like the 1st category these people are retained in their parties or swayed away from their affiliations by comfort, power or mostly money.
• Most literate, aware but unaligned people fall into the second category, for that very reason & others besides, called ‘The Middle Classes’, which despite their franchising power, are always in the lurch because,
~ They are divided.
~ They involve more in cribbing and less action, being occupied with keeping up their good hard earned standards & status of living by any means.
~ They prefer to keep silent, rather than contesting the wrongs done to them.
~ They are easily sent scurrying for cover at the slightest a hint of stronger action, even if cribbing and complaining.
~ This middle classes, are not desperate enough nor corrupt enough to create disruptions and that suits the Politicians of all hues very well.
• Maintaining status quo thus becomes easier for longer periods.
• Politicians across parties know this very well.
• That is why they have, retain & nurture, ‘The Crass’, ‘The Bahubalis’, the ‘Mr. Money Bags’ to take care of all sections of the populace!
• ‘The Discerning’ of the parties, remain at the core alone and all others are expected to follow their party orders.
• To politicians, ‘The Party’ is their nursury-school-college & Institute, their Alma-matter & they owe their first allegence to their Party alone.
• All not in the Parking, are – “Others”, to be exploited under the principle of ‘With us or Against Us’.
• However, within political parties too they have divisions based on the very same lines & originating from the very same aspects of greed & power executed through the same diabolic means of power, money and crass betrayals.
• Those ‘joining’ a Political Party anew are just foot soldiers. To graduate to a higher rankings, they have to prove their mettle by
~ Getting at least a Lakh Voters to vote from an area.
~ Or donate and show promise & capability to continue to donate at least a Crore and above annually.
~ Or show capabilities, of enough hooliganism to be of immediate crisis solving quality for the Party, be it murder or coercion & be able to take the legal rap for it.
• Political Parties are thus ‘Good Socially Uplifting Groups & Mafias’ rolled in together.
~ For all those signing up to join these parties manually or electronically are romantics and will remain so because unless they choose well from the above mentioned dyanamics they will continue to be the foot soldiers, providing mass & for organising rallies and adding to the appreciative noise about the particular Party, that is very necessary for parties to garner votes.
•However there are decent Politicians also in every Political Party, but their numbers have been dwindling faster than some exotic species & life forms on Earth!
• What do we do as Veterans?
~Luckily lile all others, we are related or connected to our Democracies through only one or two Politician/s who represent our area/s.
~ Be need to be very severe in our assessment when voting in the next election.
~Stop voting for a Party, vote for their man on the ground.
~ Speak up, be heard, educate the exploitable category even if they are few.
~ Do not ‘Revolt’ or ‘Mutiny’ against any.
~ Our Silence will do worse than kill our conscience, by maiming the future of our children.
• That my friends from the Defence Services, should settle any political differences we have within ourselves; especially after we have seen the effects of political apathy across India and on her borders.
• Know about and talk about the MLA/ MLC of your respective areas, on a daily, job by job done, basis.
•What Modi or Sonia will do next is pretty far in time and the Defence Minister is operational, not yet a Veteran!